Monday, May 26, 2008


Day 1.  Andrea arrived in Paris via bus late Tuesday night.  We rode the metro back to my apartment where we caught up on each other's lives and ate a late dinner.  It was so nice to see a familiar face in such a strange place.  Andrea was tired from a full day of travel to get here from Grenada so we went to sleep.
Day 2.  We woke up early and headed to the Marché D'Aligre to purchase some fresh strawberries and look at the gypsy flea market.  We stumbled onto a scene of some sort of movie that, I can only assume, is about a woman walking with a child through a market.  

I showed Andrea a street that is good for sight seeing and shopping for her to check out, while I was in class all afternoon.  When class was over we met and began our first adventure.  (above) Andrea and I ventured the green walk back to my apartment. 

Andrea and I walked across the Ile Saint-Louis passed where Marie Antoinette was held before her execution. We continued to the Ile De La Cité and saw the Notre Dame from the outside.

(above) Then after wandering the latin quarter, we found a nice brasserie and got some sort of delicious potato, cheese, bacon, and onion dish.  I ordered for both of us in French.  Needless to say Andrea, the waiter, and I were thoroughly impressed.

After a great meal, Andrea and I ventured along the Seine River to cross the Pont-Neuf at night. (above) We walked to the Louvre and Andrea looked inside of the Pyramid.  I love the Louvre at night, as you can probably tell from my flickr.  From the Tulleries, we watched the Eiffel tower's light show on the hour.

Day 3.  We woke up late, but still found a great day outside.  My classes were cancelled due to a Metro strike, so Andrea and I had the whole day to rome Paris.  We started out by catching a Metro to Montmarte.  We enjoyed a kebab that was "to die for."  But in Andrea's infinite knowledge, she knew that the fries were already soggy.  
We went in the Sacré Coeur (above) and visited the small artisan square at the top of Montmarte.  Then we walked down Montmarte toward the Moulin-Rouge and the redlight district.  

We caught a metro toward the Eiffel Tower and began walking in that direction.  At Trocadéro we became a little lost, but after a 4 Euro beer at a nice cafe we felt well enough to finish our trek to the Eiffel Tower.


(above) We came across a very secluded garden to take some nice pictures in front of the Eiffel Tower. In this one we jumped too soon, but it look like we thought it was hilarious.

Day 4. I had morning class, so I let Andrea keep sleeping as I got ready for class.  Lunch and class ran late, and I felt terrible for leaving Andrea stuck in my room all morning so I hurried back.  She had gotten ready and cleaned up my apartment, what a super lady!  However, she did fine me a couple million Euros for the whole ordeal.  Thanks.

We went to the Louvre first thing after leaving my apartment.  Somehow we convinced a Louvre guard that we were both art history majors, and we both got student cards and we able to get in for free.  (above) Andrea tries her hardest to imitate the Mona Lisa which is tiny and in the background.  

From there we went to see if we could get into the Notre Dame.  It was by far the best tourist attraction I had seen so far.  We went in right as Mass was beginning so we sat and enjoyed some Latin songs and then walked around to the back of the Cathedral to see the cross (below).  It's super grainy, ugh.  I'll be back with a tripod.

After the Notre Dame we walked to the Pantheon and to the campus of the Sorbonne.  We went back to the apartment to get a corkscrew and purchase a bottle of wine to enjoy at the Eiffel Tower.

(below) The Eiffel Tower is beautiful at night and I have too many pictures up of it up on my flickr right now.  We made plans to go up in it, but the line was the most ridiculous thing I have ever seen.  

Day 5.  Her flight didn't leave until later that night so we woke up early to go to the Eiffel Tower.  No dice. The line was just as long as before.  Sorry Andrea, I guess we'll go the next time we are in Paris.  But, we went to see the Hotel Raphael from the movie Hotel Chevalier so she can watch the movie and say, "I've been there."

After packing I took her to the bus stations, but we missed the bus!  It was terrible, Andrea ended up missing her flight because the busses leave 3 hours and 15 minutes before the flights leave.  So Andrea bought another plane ticket and spent another night in Paris.  

Day 6.  We woke up to the sound of my fire-alarm-esque alarm clock at 6 in the morning and I went with her to Charles De Gaule.  We said our goodbyes and thus the great Paris trip ended for Andrea.  I watched her go and I caught a train back into Paris.  

I still have 3 more weeks left, and now I'm a little lonely. It feels like an eternity.  But, at least I'm in Paris!  

Now I've lost my model, but expect more to come.

Au revior.

1 comment:

Jillinois said...

Alex, it looks like you are having so much fun!

And Andrea looks beautiful in all of those pictures.

Great job.